Re: SMuFL

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:31:46 -0400

Hi all,

> 3)
> It's currently not really an option to tackle such a change from the
> technical POV.
> LilyPond is quite far away from being able to play together with other fonts.

From my (perhaps naïve) perspective, this seems to be the chicken whence the
egg comes.  ;)

Put another way: If we focused on solving #3 — i.e., fixing Lily so that she
DOES play easily/well/perfectly with other fonts — wouldn't we be in a far
better position to act on #1 and #2, if it was desirable/feasible/acceptable?
And said effort, it seems to me, would not be wasted even if we bailed on
SMuFL, and simply made other free (possibly non-SMuFL compliant) fonts a part
of the standard Lily distro.

Am I wrong there?

Thanks,
Kieren.