Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:01:25 +0200

2013/8/19 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchol"
>> What you said would be true if the snippets were so simple that they
>> never change. But they do change.
>
> Hardly ever.  I maintain the current LSR and the changes are so infrequent I
> often forget to check whether there are any.

Well, they need to be convert-ly'ed.  Besides, i have some snippets
that do change moderately often.

> This is part of the problem
> with your proposing changes - you admit you don't use the LSR, don't know
> how it works, don't know how to do simple updates, but you're proposing
> wholescale change.  Please try the current system before trying to make
> large changes to it.

ok, that's a valid point.  I hope to have some time to actually try
working with LSR.
As for now, maybe i'll just start some LSR-esque public git repository
to show that my approach is valid.

>> > You can't update any remote system offline - git or the LSR.
>>
>> but with git i can do everything that matters offline - add new stuff,
>> fix stuff, search old versions, etc. Then i just press a button and
>> it does the rest.
>> Imagine that i'm working on a big project w/o internet access (because
>> i'm on holidays) and i create a few snipets. Do you think i'll
>> remember them when i get back online? Definitely no! I will only
>> care to add them to the repository when i'm actually working on the
>> stuff, not a week later.
>
> You could consider a text editor to create the snippets offline, giving them
> sensible names in a directory you can remember, and pasting them when you're
> online.

Well, i could draw all my scores in Inkscape as well.

> The LSR is
> part of the LilyPond documentation system that users can access and read. It
> must be an accurate set of information and that's how it currently works.

I've already said that, but i probably didn't make myself clear: i
don't want to mix accurate and "official" snippets with chaotic ones.
They would be labeled so that users will know if they're looking at
"official snippet" or some weird hack that may be unsupported.

>> > The LSR is intended to allow non-power users the ability to contribute
>> > lilypond code to other users and potentially our documentation. As such,
>> > performs a useful service. I cannot imagine why you want to go to all >
>> > the
>> > work of reimplmenting something that fundamentally works using completly
>> > different technology. It would be a massive waste of time.
>>
>> Well, as for "completely different technology", that's not necessarily
>> what i propose. Using git as the tool to manage the actual *content*
>> doesn't have to mean changing thee tools that operate on that content.
>> Why do i want to do this? Because the current system is limited: we
>> don't have support for more than one lily version, upgrading is
>> inconvenient, and there are no convenient ways to add some valuable
>> stuff there.
>

> Fine.  If you want to waste your time, feel free to propose to change a
> perfectly adequate database for a completely different technology.

please don't say "perfectly adequate" unless you show that the current
system is capable of solving the problems i outlined.

Nevertheless, thanks for the discussion; you're right that i should
start by looking at current LSR and that maybe my ideas would be too
much effort.

cheers,
Janek