Re: Handicapped barcheck message in Lilypond version 2.17.26-1 (and also

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Handicapped barcheck message in Lilypond version 2.17.26-1 (and also in Mac OSX PPC 2.16.2)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:04:08 +0200

On 17 Sep 2013, at 12:39 , David Kastrup wrote:

<....>

It's not going to make it easier to pinpoint the problem if we only get
to see it on PPC.  As I stated above "this points to a bad compilation
and/or a platform-specific problem.  Or something related to garbage
collection."

Agreed, but first I had to know whether this was serious or annoying...... I think annoying.

<....>

Well, how comfortable are you debugging binaries?  I can take a look at
the source code for any obvious "contenders", but being able to take a
good look at the actually operating code is going to go a long way
towards finding the problem.

Well, I debugged and de-compiled binaries and I did real-time programming work on VAX/VMS systems in a mix of machine assembly (MACRO) and FORTRAN code long time ago, it was my job (25 years ago). But I've no real intentions of diving into this more deeply than I did now, I left that period behind me.

I think knowing it exists is enough. If someone stumbles on a "contender" later it might disappear. There are not many people using this type of binary anymore. So please let it rest, there is more relevant (and productive) work to do. To be honest: I can perfectly live without a (or with a flaky) PPC-version. That specific machine is already more than 10 years in production use at my home, so it might also be time to retire it.

Regards,
Wim.