Piano/Xylophone key diagrams

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Piano/Xylophone key diagrams
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:20:29 +0100

At college, one of my ensembles is a mixed-music group performing modern music. I normally get away with singing or "playing" a triangle and bits of other untuned percussion. Imagine my surprised when I was given a xylophone piece to play. Fortunately, it's only one note at a time, and most of them are the same note, repeated for four bars, so I generally have the time to work out where the next key is when I'm playing the current one. However, I thought it might be interesting and vaguely useful to have some piano key diagrams which show which key is to be played, rather like the fingering diagrams. The attached image illustrates the kind of thing: playing D#.

I know I could use box, rounded-box or filled-box, or moveto/lineto commands to draw the boxes, so I clearly could create the diagrams individually for each note. However, I thought it would be better to create a function to do this. I'd presume the location of each box would be in some sort of array/list, and that the function would use the 'pitch of the note to determine which to fill. However, I've read our documentation on scheme and am stuck on how to start, either creating the array/list and iterating over it to draw boxes, or grabbing the pitch value of a note.

Could anyone start me off on this and help when I get stuck again?

TIA.

--
Phil Holmes