Re: Piano/Xylophone key diagrams

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Piano/Xylophone key diagrams
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 15:30:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden>; "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2013 3:22 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

Starting off would be on
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3563#c4>. Check
its output.  This is basically what you need, except that you need to
replace the C-Griff function which uses filled and non-filled circles in
a three-row arrangement with a more tedious rectangular arrangement.

The c-griff function here only does the formatting and would need to be
completely replaced.  In contrast, the stuff in define-scheme-function
could be kept unchanged.

Or maybe
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=791
might give some inspiration.

Cheers,
 Harm

Thanks to David and Harm for their suggestions.  For now I've gone
with adapting what Harm suggested - I've tidied the code a little and
added a scaling parameter that varies the width of the keys and the
size of the dot. Example output is attached, together with the file
used to create this.

  \textLengthOn
  b4^\markup\keys #'(b) #1 r r2 r1
  b4^\markup\keys #'(b) #1.5 r r2 r1
  b4^\markup\keys #'(b) #key_scale r r2 r1
  a4^\markup\keys #'(a) #2.5 r r2 r1
  bes4^\markup\keys #'(bes) #3 r r2

Ah, but you need to type every note/chord yourself.  The part to be
taken from my suggestion was supposed to automate that effort, making
the whole thing typo-proof.

Yes, I realise that and would like to add that feature. But for now it allows me to play the xylophone (I hope) and so I will need to devote the time to studying the automated mechanism when I have more time - during vacation.

--
Phil Holmes