Re: ugly bar line when changing line-count

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: ugly bar line when changing line-count
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:28:16 -0700 (PDT)

Gilberto Agostinho wrote
> - I already spoke about the issue in the first example in your code named
> "corrected bar-line". I still believe that the bar line should cover all
> five lines (or the largest number of lines, such as in this code:

there are more options to do this, eg.

\once \override Staff.StaffSymbol.layer = 33333

> - In your second example "adding a time signature", you seem to have
> missed my point. I am able to add a time signature, the problem is that
> the time signature makes a mess with the line-count. Have a look on your
> own example, note that the 3/4 is in between a clash of the old 5 lines
> against the new 2 lines. This looks just plain wrong and it shouldn't
> behave like this. In my opinion, this is clearly a bug. Here is an image:

there's no mess - you want a staff with an even number of staff lines
against an odd number before - this must be dis-/mis-located.

having the staff lines dislocated by half a staff doesn't make sense to me
(how would you play or read this for a melodic instrument?)

obviously LP draws the staff line from one bar to the next (which I consider
reasonable) and when there's a time or key change this is displayed before
the staff stops.

> - 3rd example: no problems here; as I mentioned before, accidentals do not
> cause any problem unless the line-count happens in the middle of a
> measure, like your last example.

not sure it's *my* example

> - Finally, the last example "with accidentals inside the measure" requires
> a kind of a hack by using the \bar "". It works well, but my point is: why
> would the automatic case leave the accidental in the previous line-count,
> when this behavior is clearly not desirable? Would anyone really wish to
> have the accidentals printed in a different line-count?

why should it not leave the accidental in its "natural" place which is
determined by certain horizontal spacing rules (which are well documented in
the docs, imo)?

if you think there should be other rules for all this, would you like to try
to gather them in a - maybe - simple (scheme-) function?!

Eluze