Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:09:41 +0200

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rereading David's post I realize I haven't completely understood him yet.
> First he says it's mandatory then cautionary, responding to different parts
> of my message.
> So obviously I'm still not really clear about it.

i think i boils down to, "put the sharp in if you want to and don't
bother what you're calling it."

>> this is a case where i'd normally play a gis, then realise there's a
>> natural at the beginning of the measure, then become confused and then
>> try to work out what's correct from situational analysis.
>

> Exactly, and there's also the natural in the vocal line, which makes it even
> more confusing.

i assumed that came from a tie beforehand (which doesn't make sense
given the lyrics). :) like i said, monophonic guy... :D

>> i always try to get parts which are as least confusing as possible.
>> when re-engraving, this may mean moving away from how it was
>> originally engraved, making the typesetting work somewhat more
>> editorial (why else would we be re-engraving though?).
>

> Actually I _do_ have the editor's hat and not the engraver's on in this
> situation.
> As a performer I know that I want a sharp in that place.
> But as an editor I have to decide whether I am adding a cautionary
> accidental or whether I am 'correcting an error' of the original edition ;-)

it's your call then. but call it, "clarifying an inconclusive
situation" of the original edition. ;) the music in the original is
almost certainly formally correct, just unclearly notated.

> BTW we decided to use cautionary accidentals _without_ parentheses in this
> edition, because
> a) the original edition did so too
> b) we are heavily modifying the OE's decision in this respect which would
> c) result in a score completely flooded with parentheses, which wouldn't
> help _anyone_.
> When we add missing mandatory accidentals they are parenthesized, however.
> We know this differs from general practice, but anything else would be soo
> ugly - and of course we have documented it sufficiently.

ah, ok. the snippet you posted above _does_ look really good. is the
slur from d, (LH beat 1) to g' (RH beat 3) original lilypond or
tweaked?

regards,
sb
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.