Debugging Lillypond - Unable to find file "lily.scm" in load path

From: Tom
Subject: Debugging Lillypond - Unable to find file "lily.scm" in load path
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:04:58 +0000

I have a working version of lilypond and am trying to build a debug version to see how it works to see if I can help but when I try and debug it cant initialise:
 Unable to find file "lily.scm" in load path
I could, presumably copy the working versions /usr/share/lilypond/2.16.0 directory structue to build/lily/share but it may be out of sync? I'd rather not do an install and then recompile the current version with debugging data so how do I get the share data built and installed?
Tom