Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:30:57 -0600

Hi Gilberto,

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden> wrote:
Great!

So now it would also be nice to hear what others have to say on this issue
of spacing. As you said, Gould book is highly regarded and I think we should
follow it whenever we find appropriate.

I agree that her examples look better for the most part.  (I'm most bothered by your example, "with clef only and with more accidentals," where the accidentals are uncomfortably close to the clef.)

Have you tried modifying the 'space-alist property of various prefatory objects, like Clef and TimeSignature?  This might help, but as far as I can tell, there's no provision for spacing with or without accidental(s) which is one of the principal problems highlighted by your analysis.  (I hope I'm wrong about this!)

--David