Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: Caio Barros
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:22:21 -0200

2013/11/26 Urs Liska <address@hidden

A way to permanently separate music source from tweaks would be a good thing IMO. Separating content from appearance.
If that would be possible one could switch a set of tweaks (i.e. different target formats) together with the different layout style sheets.
Actually that's what tags do IISC, but of course they are way too mixed in the actual source file.

I don't know if you guys already tried it, but the two times I type orchestral scores I needed to use little different tweaks for the parts and for the actual orchestral score (for example: setting a page break after a silent bar so the player can turn the page). The solution I applied for this was to create variables that mean one thing in the part file and another in the orchestral file.

So, for instance:

1) I create a file called partsVariables.ly which have: partBreakPage = { \pageBreak }

2) In the violinsMusic.ly, for instance I have

violinsMusicOne = \relative c' {
 %some music
 c d e f
 \partBreakPage
 f e d c
}

violinsMusicTwo = \relative c' {
 %music for the second movement
c d e f
}

3) then I create a violins.ly file which contains

\include "partsVariables.ly"

%first movement

\score {
 \violinsMusicOne
}

% second movement

\score {
 \violinsMusicTwo
}

4) finally, in the orchestra.ly file I don't call the "partsVariables.ly" file and simply write:

partBreakPage = { }

\include "violinsMusic.ly"

%%start the music here

Of course you can create an "orchestaVariables.ly" if you want. This is kind of what you are describing as setting the tweaks in a different file and this really helps in writing orchestral files, including being able to drop some cue voices, creating scores with just parts of the full orchestra (just woodwinds, for instance), etc.