Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 14:06:25 +0100

On 01/12/13 14:00, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
I disagree somewhat… and so do most of my Finale- and Sibelius-using friends
and colleagues, who complain endlessly about how much time it takes to tweak
scores and parts.

How does that compare to their reaction to Lilypond? I would guess amazement at how much Lilypond gets right, but frustration with how relatively complicated it is to enter a score and see the results? And probably overwhelming frustration when they hit the point of wanting to tweak something?

What *is* true is that beauty in engraving is less of an issue to most people
than just getting it done.

Actually, what matters to most end user is to have something “good enough”…
and, I’m sad to say, Finale and Sibelius do that (for them) with almost no
tweaking at all.

Yes, and this is overwhelmingly true of most things in life. "Easy to get it good enough" almost always wins over "difficult but gets it perfect".

When I compare Finale/Sibelius output with hand-copied (not hand-engraved!) parts from earlier years, which was the norm for a lot of new works, there is very rarely any contest.