Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:32:37 +0100

On 01/12/13 09:45, David Kastrup wrote:
Finale output is ugly to the degree where it is distracting readability,
particularly for instrumentalists.  Sibelius' corporate parent has fired
its core developer team in the UK, including its original authors.
Steinberg does not yet have a finished product on market.  Most other
players are fringe players.

The situation is not really all that unfavorable for LilyPond.

The default output of Finale is indeed ugly, and I was reminded that Sibelius too has its problems when I recently received a score from a friend which would surely have looked much better done in Lilypond.

The thing is, though, both are so easy to tweak, it doesn't matter. My Bärenreiter scores engraved (presumably) with Finale may be less beautiful than the obviously hand-engraved earlier publications, but they are entirely satisfactory so far as reading goes. Most practical readability problems arise because of publishers (or composers) who put inadequate work into copyediting parts, not because of the software used.

I don't say this to discourage anyone, but just to note that what matters to the end user is very often the facility to get the score _just as they want it_, not the ability of the program to automatically second-guess their desires.