Re: beginner problem

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: beginner problem
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:31:32 -0800 (PST)

Siena wrote
> SoundsFromSound
> <soundsfromsound <at>
>  gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Siena wrote
>> > Hi all - I just downloaded LilyPond, ran the test which worked fine,
>> and
>> > now
>> > I'm trying to follow the tutorial, and ran into a problem right off at
>> the
>> > command line section.  When I open LilyPond, a command prompt box
>> opens,
>> > which is I assume where I'm supposed to type the command "lilypond
>> > test.ly"
>> > to compile.
>> >
>> > Here's the problem: I can't type in the command prompt box.  No matter
>> > what
>> > I do, nothing shows up when I type.  Am I making a really dumb mistake,
>> or
>> > has something gone wrong with installation?  I'm on Windows 7, if that
>> > helps, and searching the archives of this list makes me think I should
>> > maybe
>> > have something called cygwin installed, and I don't seem to, so maybe
>> > that's
>> > the problem, but those messages were also from a long time ago.
>> >
>> > Any ideas would be very appreciated...
>> >
>> > Siena

>> Hi Siena,
>>
>> Welcome to the LilyPond community!
>>
>> Hmm...sorry you're having a problem with Windows 7 and LP.
>>
>> You don't "need" to type into that CMD window at all, you can use LilyPad
>> (the window/example file that loads on startup). Do you see that?
>>
>> You can open a non-LilyPond Windows7 CMD [start menu --> cmd] window and
>> use
>> LilyPond commands there if you'd like; did you add or change anything in
>> Environment Variables yet?
>>
>> We'll make sure you get up and running soon, stick with it! :)
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> -----
>> composer | sound designer
>> LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond
>> --
>>

> Thanks so much for the quick reply!  I did figure out that it works just
> fine if I drag the file onto the LilyPad icon, so maybe it doesn't matter.
> I was just trying to follow the directions in the tutorial, which said to
> compile by typing at the command prompt (here's the instructions:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/command_002dline)
>
> But maybe I can just skip that step, as long as it won't matter later on.
>
> I tried fooling around with the Windows command prompt, which I can type
> in
> just fine, but I don't know enough about DOS commands to get it to work.
> haven't heard of Environment Variables, so hopefully I haven't changed
> anything about them yet!
>
> Thanks,
> Siena

Ah, I see what you mean. When I used LilyPond in the terminal I always just
opened a fresh, clean one and ran lilypond-commands; rather than trying to
do anything with that one which pops up when you run the program. Sorry if I
confused you!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate...

Ben

-----