Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 22:20:48 +0100

SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:

> A friend of mine, who is a long time Finale user, asked me today:
>
> "Does LilyPond allow you to use programming languages like Lua for scripting
> or functions to expand its capabilities? That's one of the things I love
> about Finale nowadays....."
>
> I was not sure how to answer. Does LilyPond have any use (need?) to work w/
> Lua or other languages besides Scheme? Would that add anything to the
> package or just be superfluous?

Scheme _is_ its scripting language.  There is some Lua branch in
GuileV2, but it's unclear when it will be production quality, unclear
when LilyPond will run on GuileV2, and unclear whether both efforts
could be combined.

However, LilyPond makes heavy use of Scheme's functional nature by doing
lots of small expressions and stuff in Scheme syntactically.  That would
not transfer easily to Lua.

--
David Kastrup