Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:35:55 +1100

On 3 December 2013 13:18, PMA <address@hidden> wrote:
> I program in J almost exclusively, since the pursuit of my brainstorms
> (music-bound or not) tends to favor handy ad-hoc number crunching.

+1 but with Lua. I’ve done some useful things.

Alternatives are Frescobaldi snippets if you know Python, and you can
do a lot with regexes, which is a side-effect of Lilypond’s text file
format.

David Kastrup wrote:
>Scheme _is_ its scripting language.  There is some Lua branch in
>GuileV2, but it's unclear when it will be production quality, unclear
>when LilyPond will run on GuileV2, and unclear whether both efforts
>could be combined.

That looks really interesting—I’d probably do all sorts of stuff. But
then Lilypond would become a Frankenstein’s monster of extensions in
different languages. So I should probably just learn Scheme.

Incidentally, when I first arrived on the Lilypond mailing list, I
recognized David Kastrup from the Lua mailing list. So he does know
Lua quite well, even if he keeps it quiet :-)

Vaughan