Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:17:28 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyway, what about something like this: a "higher-level" installer
> that installs LilyPond and lets user choose what editing program he
> wants to use:
>
> "LilyPond files can be edited using different programs.  Pleasse
> choose what to install additionally:
> * Denemo (has a GUI but it cannot open lilypond files created with
> other programs)
> * Frescobaldi (gives you more control, but doesn't have a GUI)
> * I'm a computer wizard, and I'll use my own EMACS/vim/Notepad++"
>
> This way we avoid the problem of favoring one editor over the other.

Are you going to implement this for all GUB targets?  MacOSX, MacOS
PowerPC, Windows, FreeBSD, and so on?

Write a "higher-level" installer for all of these that will know how to
get at all the editors for all of these?

> I believe that the most important thing is just to have a powerful
> editor installed with LilyPond so that people get the most of LilyPond
> right away.

It would even better to have a friendly human tutor installed
automatically.  We just need to get her into the installer, same
problem.  For better or worse, I think that the interactive task of
managing LilyPond versions is better placed with the editors which are
supposed to interact with the user than the other way round.

--
David Kastrup