Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit LilyPond (GNU/Linux)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit LilyPond (GNU/Linux)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:01:57 +0100

Jay Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM, SoundsFromSound
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Wow, really? I never thought editing text files (.ly) would ever get close
>> to 4GB of RAM. Maybe I'll try a quick benchmark here...
>
> 6.9GB for one book to be exact. Text editing has nothing to do with it
> though. This is the amount of memory used to compile the project. This
> specific book is a much larger than most for sure (633 pages (9x12) of
> piano + horn music). I doubt most people would notice a difference
> between 32-bit and 64-bit installs.

Also a "cell" is larger on 64bit systems, so a 32bit system uses less
memory.  With 4GB of memory and no swap (swapping on SSD is a bad idea),
a 32bit system might get along better than a 64bit system with the
available memory.  8GB of main memory is the "no-brainer" threshold for
using a 64bit system.

--
David Kastrup