Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit LilyPond (GNU/Linux)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit LilyPond (GNU/Linux)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:08:37 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/12/31 SoundsFromSound <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Now I see what you're getting at. So, assuming a user never
>> compiles/renders/outputs their score, just merely does the inputting, their
>> process is not going to increase RAM usage practically at all, right? It's
>> the compiling where LilyPond eats up resources in large projects?
>

> As Ed wrote, the only time when LIlyPond program actually runs is when
> it compiles a file.  LilyPond doesn't do anything else - editing the
> files is done using text editors.
> See for yourself - you won't find a lilypond process running in the
> system except during compilation.

Well... if I get around to working on the Emacs mode at some point of
time, it is likely that there will be a LilyPond process running
continuously (or rather, sitting at a GUILE command line prompt) that
Emacs will use for translating note languages, figure out syntax,
convert absolute to relative, transpose and so on.

But it's not more than hot air right now.

--
David Kastrup