Re: Experiences from voice handling wanted

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Experiences from voice handling wanted
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:13:33 +0100

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply!

On 01/16/2014 07:17 PM, Michael Rivers wrote:
I think you just have to remember to use \oneVoice or \stemNeutral when the
2nd voice isn't playing.

\oneVoice is the best choice, isn't it, because it affects more than just the stems!?

If the 2nd voice is coming and going frequently, you are much better off
using

<<
   { \voiceOne
      Music goes here
   }
   \new Voice {
      { \voiceTwo
         Music goes here
\oneVoice

This way, when the voices split in two, the first voice can continue using a
slur it had begun before the voices split. If you use << { } \\ {} >> to
split the voices, you'll get "Cannot terminate slur" errors, and then you
have to start the second voice before you really want to, fill it with
spacer rests and manually change the stemming -- no fun.

As mentioned previously what I have to work with in this case is an output from musicxml2ly with the voices as separate music variables. It could still be an option of course to use the structure you suggest and I have done that previously from musicxml2ly outputs. But I still think my best option in this case is to use the \partcombine solution, but I'm very willing to listen to other suggestion. I know that there are a lot of users with much more experience than myself.

Best
Peter