Re: How do I get Emacs mode?

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: How do I get Emacs mode?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:18:15 +0000

Thanks for the link to your explanation of what to do to get Emacs
Lilypond mode working.

This was easy to follow, and I now have syntax highlighting etc. working
for Lilypond files.

Just one thing, though: when I load a .ly file into Emacs
I get a message:

Warning: `lilypond-words.el' not found in `load-path'. See
`lilypond-init.el'

I've had a look at lilypond-init.el, which is no help.  I also found a
scripts/build/lilypond-words.py file in the Lilypond 2.18.0 source that
I downloaded, but when I tried to run that in python I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Downloads/lilypond-2.18.0/scripts/build/lilypond-words.py", line
21, in <module>
    s = open ('lily/lily-lexer.cc', 'r').read ()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'lily/lily-lexer.cc'

How do I obtain or generate the lilypond-words.el file?

Incidentally, in response to David Kastrup's suggestion "How about
upgrading Ubuntu?", the reason I am sticking with Ubuntu 12.04 at the
moment is because it is an LTS (long term support) version.  I shall
probably change to 14.04 LTS a few months after it is released (so that
the worst bugs can be sorted out first).

As a professional musician and not a computer expert (as you can tell!),
I find that reinstalling Ubuntu every other year is more than enough
hassle, especially as I have to do it on 2 computers.  A new
installation every 6 months is just asking too much, and in my
experience Ubuntu upgrades (as distinct from clean installs) always
cause immense problems, so I have given up on them.

David