Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

From: steve
Subject: Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:18:32 -0500

> address@hidden writes:
>
>>   I will select examples of ties and slurs from Goldberg on 2.18.0 and
>> put
>> together a minimalist
>> exposition for discussion.
>>
> So for a separate tie project, it would be nice to raise money from
> people not already investing in LilyPond.  A particular and popular show
> project like Goldberg would probably help.

        Exactly, there are lots of Goldberg fans, and for this particular
project, the  transcription for guitar ensemble, which has never been done
before, could be
a significant motivator for support, amongst the guitar community.
For example, a kickstarter program could solicit investors that would recieve
a high quality print of the finished project.

      Also as an extension of my work on the guitar transcription, I can
imagine a "generic" transcription, unlike the guitar version which has
lots of octave transposition, and other changes to make it playable
on a standard guitar.  This version would be a note for note rendering
of the original, but with the voices separated out. It could then become
a basis for any number of instrument combinations

>>     What if we set a similar goal for lilypond ties / slurs..  and
>> made an example of the Goldberg Variations for Guitar Ensemble?
>
> So the goal would be to have it nicely typeset without tweaking ties
> manually?

             If the issue of ties / slurs is a big outstanding issue ( and
I think it is)
to taking LilyPond to the next level, then  we could fix that and use
Goldberg
both the guitar and "generic" transcriptions as a focal point for organizing
and fund raising...??

       -steve