Replace dot symbol?

From: David Stephen Grant
Subject: Replace dot symbol?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:19:11 +0100

Hi list,
I'm working on a piece where the composer has requested the dot symbol being replaced by a cross for durations equal to 1.25 of the original duration (instead of 1.5 as in the regular dot).*
I've been digging in the manuals and have found a solution that seems to work (at least in the simple tests I have done so far), but out of interest I wonder if there is a better solution that is still fairly simple? My solution is developed through trial and error, copy and paste, so I may well be missing something obvious.

Ideally I'd like to be able to append something other than . to a duration, that would then automatically assign the correct duration value to the note, and change the dot symbol. But at least I seem to have an acceptable solution. Pointers or comments are very welcome - all the intricacies of the inner workings of Lilypond are still a mystery to me!

I've attached my LY file (top staff showing the desired durations, bottom staff my current solution), and a couple of PNGs - one is the output of the LY file, and the other a "real-life" example from an Asbjørn Schaathun score (Edition Wilhelm Hansen)

Best,
David

* This has become a fairly well established practice in Norwegian modern music, and certainly simplifies the notation in certain styles of music - has anyone else come across this, or other notation tackling this issue?