Re: Fixed number of Systems on page

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Fixed number of Systems on page
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 08:03:11 -0500

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Simon Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Urs,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
is it possible to enforce a specific number of systems on a specific page?
For example to say: "I want a given music (e.g. between two manual page breaks) on that page, but I also want to have it on 5 systems"?

Or similarly asked: "Please distribute the following 50 measures on 16 staves."

It that's currently not possible (which I assume) is there a reason against it, or a reason why it is complicated to implement?

I had a similar question a month or so back. And was given this answer:

I tried it out yesterday, using the following approach:

- removed all manual breaks
- compiled the piece "normally" without using this engraver.
- judging from the generated output, started counting bars and layouting number of systems on each page (once the engraver runs out of instructions, it carries on with the default layout)

i my case, this was done as the last step in layouting -- i was lucky, i didn't have to fine-tune any of my previous tweaks as i hardly changed the line breaks. it's probably not the best way to do things, but it works for me. ideally you would get all the music entered, then finalise the page layout, then fine-tune the output.

hope this helps,
sb

I actually wrote another engraver which handles measures per line/systems per page.  It looks like development found its way into a private thread, so I'm enclosing the result here.

Hopefully the example in the file should give an idea of its usage, but let me know if you need more information.

There may be a problem with manually setting the bar number, so I'll have to work through this some.

Anyway, hopefully this gets you started!

--David