Re: MetronomeMark aligned to accidentals

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: MetronomeMark aligned to accidentals
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 17:10:27 +0100

Daniel, you wrote April 06, 2014 3:21 PM

> I've tried this based on the page you linked me to above, but it's not
> working. What am I missing here?
>
> \version "2.19.3"
> {
>  R1 |
>  \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(key-signature)
>  \tempo "Tempo"
>  <as' bes'>
> }

I'm afraid I've misled you here.  Although MetronomeMark layout object
supposedly supports the break-alignable-interface, according to the IR, it
seems not to behave in the same way as RehearsalMark and BarNumber layout
objects.  Sorry about that; I should have checked more carefully before making
the suggestion.

However, you may be able to obtain a satisfactory placing by overriding
self-alignment-X, eg

\version "2.19.3"
{
  R1 |
  \override Score.MetronomeMark.self-alignment-X = -0.3
  \tempo "Tempo"
  <as' bes'>
}

This offsets the metronome mark from its default position of 0 - centered on
the left-most notehead.  Unfortunately the required value will depend on the
string length provided to \tempo and the number of accidentals, so this is
strictly a poor work-around.

Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

Trevor