Re: swung and straight at the same time

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: swung and straight at the same time
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:57:39 -0500

On 04/10/2014 08:30 AM, Mike Solomon wrote:
> I am trying to output MIDIs of a piece where I have swung and
> straight parts going on at the same time.  I have a little function I
> use that changes the entire piece to swung by varying the tempo, but
> that won’t work here.  What I need is something that will act
> directly on notes, multiplying all off-beat eighth notes by 2/3 and
> all on-beat eighth notes by 4/3. This’d require a music function that
> knows where in a measure notes fall, which’d require a two-pass
> mechanism - one that counts notes and another that applies
> transformations to counted notes.  Before I spend a day writing the
> thing, does anyone have one I could use?

My swing function at <URL: http://crism.maden.org/music/swing.ly > may
be a starting point.

It currently doesn’t look at the actual on-beat points, but takes pairs
of eighth notes.  It doesn’t deal with dotted quarters or ties... but
it’s a start.

The code is public domain, but if anyone improves it, I’d certainly like
to see what comes out of it.

~Chris
Surround hate and force it to surrender.
GnuPG fingerprint: DB08 CF6C 2583 7F55 3BE9  A210 4A51 DBAC 5C5C 3D5E