Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:41:44 +0200

Am 20.05.2014 15:41, schrieb Knute Snortum:
(Note: the above code still emits a warning: Programming error: impossible or ambiguous (de) crescendo)

One of the things I really liked about LilyPond was the ability to compile sheet music and MIDI from the same source. It seems to me that this behavior is getting away from that value. I would think that in piano and choral music if you create a temporary voice, not only do you want the original dynamic to carry over into the temporary, you want any dynamic mark to carry over back into the original after the temporary is over.

If I understand you correctly, the only way to set a dynamic change while temporary voices are active is to set the mark on one voice, set and omit it on the other(s), and set and omit it on the original voice once the temporary voices are done. This seems unnecessarily complex for a situation that I would think happens many times.

Perhaps it’s possible to move the Dynamics_engraver and _performer to staff level for this purpose?

Best, Simon