Re: (de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: (de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 10:41:08 -0700

Asked for an issue on the error message that should be a warning.

Any more discussion on these?

1) The workaround causes the hairpin to be shorter than it should be.  Either
  a) Allow both dynamics and (de)crescendos on the same event, or
  b) Have LilyPond set a reasonable default dynamic, such as \mp in this case.

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Knute Snortum <address@hidden> writes:

> I ran into this issue again recently.  Something that is seen a lot in 19th
> and 20th century music is a crescendo or decrescendo without going to a
> specific dynamic.  The performer is given the freedom to decide how much to
> change the dynamics.  This causes an error message: "programming error:
> Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI."

That's not an actual programming error in pretty much all cases but
rather an input problem probably deserving a warning.  That alone should
warrant fixing.

--
David Kastrup