Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:37:42 +0100

On 19 September 2014 18:18, TaoCG <address@hidden> wrote:
> tisimst wrote
>> 2. As shown on the
>> Ubuntu font website <http://font.ubuntu.com/>
>> , there is NO PHYSICAL DIFFERENCE between the upright (non-italic) shaped
>> series of "Regular" and "Medium" variants (not sure why that is since
>> there is definitely a difference between the corresponding italic-shaped
>> variants). Thus, even if it were possible to use both "Regular" and
>> "Medium" font-series, the Ubuntu font won't show any difference, at least
>> in the upright case.
>
> There must be something wrong on your side. I can see a clear difference
> between Regular and Medium in both normal and italic shape.

Same here.  Could be a browser issue.

> Well, I installed the Ubuntu fonts and tried to access the Medium face from
> within LilyPond without success. Version is 2.18.2 on Windows.

Have you tried accessing it via 'font-name?  That should work since it
bypasses LilyPond's font selection code and funnels it through to
Pango directly.

> Since the second post stated that it worked in 2.19.13 I supposed it might
> have to do with the recent changes in font selection but apparently this
> really is a bug which has been there before.

Having looked at the code, I'd say it hasn't worked for a long time.

Two issues:

1) There's no check for 'medium in the code that selects PangoWeight;

2) There are no nodes added for medium weight in add-pango-fonts.

Rather amusingly, LyricText has the 'medium font-series in its defaults.