Re: Overlapping ties in different voices

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Overlapping ties in different voices
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:30:02 -0006

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Frederick Bartlett <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to set selection from Saint-Saën's Oratorio de Noël for my choir.
In the Gloria in altissimis (p9 in the IMSLP PDFs), I found an odd combination of ties:
\relative c''' {
  << {           s1      | b1 ~                  | b2 cis  } \\
     {           a1 ~    | a2 s2                 | s1      } \\
     { \voiceTwo r2 a, ~ | a <g' g,>4 <fis fis,> | <g g,>1 }

}
This peculiar mess is almost right; I just need to figure out how to keep the b and a on the first beat of the second measure from colliding -- but no combination of \shiftOxxx and \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift that I've tried has answered the case. Leaving the \voiceTwo command out prevents the collision -- but at the cost of getting many other things wrong.

To match the 19th-century original, the b should be shifted a notehead's width right.

Help?
Thanks!
Fred

Fred,

I couldn't find this on pg 9, at least on in the Gloria in altissimis section which looked like it was on page 8, and the part that did look like this didn't have the lower notes in it. Did you add those?

If you absolutely MUST do this, then here's a solution to get you by, using only two EXPLICIT voices, but with some less-desirable overrides:

\relative c''' {
  <<
    {
      \once \override NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t
      a1 |
      \voiceOne
      b1 ~ |
      b2 cis |
      \oneVoice
    }
    \new Voice \relative c''' {
      \voiceTwo
      \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
      \once \hideNotes a2 ~ a, ~ |
      <g g'>1
      \set tieWaitForNote = ##f

If you don't need the lower octave notes (like it is in the piano reduction), then it gets WAY easier to notate without any fancy footwork:

\relative c''' {
  <<
    {
      \voiceOne