Re: A sign I can't understand ...

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: A sign I can't understand ...
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:17:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Son_V" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:49 PM

isn't that indicating that in a second (or later) verse there are two
syllables?

Yes. Sorry ... I've been too stingy. :-)

Here is a larger view:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n167616/Simbolo_strano_2.jpg>

Note that the "comma" on the right should be a breath

the notation of your image would be wrong

I suppose it too; but what should be the correct way to write this "thing"?
Sorry but when I encounter these strange situations I'm not able to find a
reference in the manual. It seems to me to try to find a needle in an
haystack.

Thanks.

The tricky thing with getting this closer to the original is fitting the quaver in while the crochet already fills the bar. We can do this by multiplying the crochet duration by a half. Then all you need to look up in the index is parenthesis and breath.

\relative c'{
\time 2/4
f8 a g4*1/2 \parenthesize g8 \breathe e

Phil Holmes