Re: Broken ligatures in recent LilyPond versions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Broken ligatures in recent LilyPond versions
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:03:01 +0100 (CET)

>> Unfortunately, this is currently beyond our control.  What you see
>> is the default rendering with the pango library.  Right now,
>> lilypond lacks a font interface to control OpenType features.
>
> And why did it work before?

I don't know.

> Because the old pango library did it differently?

Maybe.  It might also depend on your locale.  IIRC, there were reports
that 32bit vs. 64bit is an issue also.

> Does each LilyPond come with its own pango lib?

I don't know, since I always compile from git directly, using my
GNU/Linux pango library (currently also compiled by myself from its
git repository).

> By the way, the svg backend does the ligatures (it probably puts the
> text there and leaves it to inkscape to render the ligatures?).

Since my knowledge of SVG is zero, I can't even do an educated
guess...

    Werner

BTW, using lilypond release/2.19.15-1-171-ge86b2ea together with pango
1.36.8-6-ga533850, LinLibertine_R.otf 5.3.0, and gs 9.15, ligatures
are displayed just fine on my 32bit PC.