Re: "lilypond -dshow-available-fonts" doesn't display the user installed

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: "lilypond -dshow-available-fonts" doesn't display the user installed fonts in OS X
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 20:26:52 +0600

Am 2015-03-08 um 20:04 schrieb Kevin Barry <address@hidden>:

> Manually installed fonts are usually placed in a different location to ones
> installed by the system. LilyPond looks in a few places to find
> user-installed fonts, but I have found that on OSX or Ubuntu that this
> location is no longer where user fonts are placed when installed.
>
> To make downloaded fonts available to LilyPond place them in a .fonts folder
> in your home folder (just copy the individual files there) and then LilyPond
> should be able to find them. (In the past this is where operating systems
> like Ubuntu used to place them, but not anymore for some reason.)]

LilyPond uses pango and the fontconfig library. That means, it finds fonts that
are known to fontconfig.

Check your home folder - there might be a (hidden) file .fonts.conf; it should
look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
<cache>~/.fonts.cache-1</cache>

<dir>/System/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/FontExplorer\ X/Font\ Library</dir>
<dir>/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts</dir>
</fontconfig>

Just add all folders that contain fonts. The topmost of a tree is enough (like
FontExplorer in my config).

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle