Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the f

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:40:57 +0100

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 19:36 +0200, Eyolf Østrem wrote:

> [...]
>
> " -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> " |  s  |  g  |  a  |  b  |times|     |     |  '  |16/64|32/128     |     |
> " |  Q  |  W  |  E  |  R  |  T  |  Y  |  U  |  I  |  O  |  P  |     |     |
> " ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "   |  c  |  d  |  e  |  f  | r/R |  1  |  2  |  4  |  8  |     |     |     |
> "   |  A  |  S  |  D  |  F  |  G  |  H  |  J  |  K  |  L  |     |     |     |
> "   -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "     |undo | del |flat |sharp|breve| dot |  ,  |     |     |     |     |
> "     |  Z  |  X  |  C  |  V  |  B  |  N  |  M  |     |     |     |     |
> "     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> " So, the keyboard is completely remapped: the left hand enters the pitches,
> in
> " the sequence of a piano keyboard, and the right hand 'plays' the rhythms,
> " which are laid out 'ergonomically' from the \breve (B) to the 32nd note (P):
> " 64th and 128th notes re-use the O and P keys in shifted position, and
> " \longa and \maxima are placed on <S-l> and <S-m>.
> " Flats and sharps are added with 'c' and 'v', octaves are modified with
> " 'i' (up) and 'm' (down), and cautionary accidentals  are entered with '!'
> " and '?'. A \fermata is added with '.'
> "
> " The script simplifies note entry for lilypond files. Three different
> " kinds of tasks are performed with single or just-a-few key presses:
> " - entry of a new note;
> " - modification of an existing note (wrt duration, accidentals, octave,
> "   dots, cautionary accidentals, and articulation signs);
> " - certain special signs, such as fermata, musica ficta, \times x/y {}, etc.
> "
> " The layout ensures that values that are likely to be close together
> " (stepwise motion and leaps of fourths; 'f' + 'sharp', 'e' + 'flat';
> " adjacent rhythm values, etc.) are close together also on the keyboard.
> "
> " Any of the "pitch keys" (asdfwer, plus qgG for s, r, and R) enters a
> " single note name. Accidental modifications are rememebered, so one
> " doesn't have to change every 'f' to 'fis' in g major. Modifications of
> " the simple note is done subsequently. E.g., to turn
> "
> "                  f     into      fisis!,\breve..
> "
> " one would type the keys 'vv!mbnn' in any order.
>
> With this scheme, note entry is faster than in any other note-entry system
> I've tried (and I've tried a lot), perhaps excepting midi input. Most
> notably in this context is that there is no jumping up and down to the
> number row, and, yes, no redundancy wrt which numbers are used.
>
> Unfortunatly, I never managed to finish it - vimscript is an odd beast -
> but I've found that MuseScore can be configured to work more or less the
Well, if you set up that mapping for Denemo you could get LilyPond's
beautiful typesetting too :)
But if you *can* play a MIDI keyboard then there is no competition -
they cost less that $100 and give you note-name, octave and accidental
*and* feedback that the note you entered was the one you meant. All
going in as fast as you can play. You can even add a second pc-keyboard
mounted on your MIDI keyboard so that you can control rhythm and pitch
in one integrated interface.

Richard