Re: slur syntax

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: slur syntax
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 18:56:27 +0200

On 2015-05-23 18:29, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
I understood that "slur markers are not brackets in the mathematical
sense but simply mark something to start or end" but don't understand the
consequences of this. Wouldn't be possible to slur the four notes  a b c d
using the other syntax

  (a b c d)

instead of

  a (b c d)

?
Thank you, g.

In Frescobaldi if you use Quick Insert to slur the four notes you'll get:

a( b c d)

I tend to think the syntax a ( b c d ) is preferable, but maybe with this syntax it is clearer that the '(' belongs to the 'a' and not to the 'b' - and ')' belongs to the 'd'.

Compare if you will with:

a \staccato b c d \staccato

The staccato marks will end up on the notes that precedes the command, that is a and d.

Best
Peter