Re: slur syntax

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: slur syntax
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 15:47:00 +0200

Am 23.05.2015 um 14:27 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:
Suppose I want to slur the followings notes:
    a8 b c d

then I have to write
   a8 (b c d)

This looks a bit strange to me because I think it would be more 'natural'
(for me) write this:
   (a8 b c d)

There is any reason why the syntax is like it is?

There is a reasoning on this page:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/on-the-un_002dnestedness-of-brackets-and-ties.nl.html

where you can learn that slur markers are not brackets in the mathematical sense but simply mark something to start or end. What is not explicitly mentioned in that article is that in all other cases markers are also appended to the notes, e.g. dynamics, articulations, markups etc.

HTH
Urs

Thank you, Gianmaria