Re: Fwd: [smufl-discuss] SMuFL development moves to the new W3C Music No

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Fwd: [smufl-discuss] SMuFL development moves to the new W3C Music Notation Community Group
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:46:02 +0100

No!  You should not use your user page for experimentation.  Use your
sandbox for that, your user page is for introducing yourself.

A serious drawback with Wiki's implementation of Lily is that scores
form part of the page, rather than being separate files like pictures.
 However if you compile Lily into a PNG and upload it to Wikimedia
Commons, users are able to click on the thumbnail to expand it, and
potentially print it off.  You will need to play around with the page
size though or you get three lines of music and a lot of white space.

Martin

On 29/07/15 19:27, Steve Lacy wrote:
> Yes, I think it can do pretty much anything that the standard
> LilyPond syntax can do, but prohibits pretty much all usage of
> direct scheme, even in the simplest cases.
>
> It also appears as though variables are prohibited, even a simple
> example as :
>
> A = { a^\markup "A" } \relative c' { \A b c }
>
> fails to compile on WikiPedia, but does work on LilyBin.
>
> It's fairly straightforward to create a WikiPedia account, and
> start editing your "User:" page as an experiment.  For example, I
> played around a little on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Slacy
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM, tisimst
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Steve Lacy [via Lilypond]
> <[hidden email]
> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=179139&i=0>> wrote:
>
> You're incorrect in saying that this requires Lilypond on the Users
> machine.  It does require LilyPond on the serving machine(s), but
> not on the desktop machines of the editors.
>

> Thank you for the clarification. I have not experimented with it,
> myself, but that was my perception based on the documentation. So,
> I assume it has the full app behind it (i.e., to create a score
> from any code we throw at it, as long as it can be represented as
> a single file)?

> development moves to the new W3C Music Notation Community Group
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Fwd-smufl-discuss-SMuFL-develop
ment-moves-to-the-new-W3C-Music-Notation-Community-Group-tp179133p179139
.html>