Re: Can't find right hand fingering without string #'s

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Can't find right hand fingering without string #'s
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:02:12 +0200

> \version "2.18.0"
> #(set-global-staff-size 25)
>
> {
>       \override TextScript.color = #red
>      c4^p c4-p c-2 c-3 c-4
>      c^\markup { \finger "2 - 3" }
> }
>

> I think I understand what you think to be wrong.
> Obviously you are refrencing to version 2.10.33 stable branch of ilypond
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Fingering-instructions
> I cannot find that chapter in subsequent manuals.
>

> There are two systems to mark the fingering with guitar, one with an number,
> the other with characters p, i, etc.
> Obviously newer versions of lilypond handle the characters simply as markup
> and not so special as in version 2.10. So the minus in front of a p ("-p")
> obviously will be handled as a _p and the p printed under the note. I do not
> know if that is an error or a mistake in developing to higer versions of
> lilypond. I cannot tell you if developers find that faulty and are willing
> to make a correction?
>

> The simple way for the moment is to use a "^" instead of a "-". So the
> "markup" will be printed above the note.
>
> Regards anyway
>

> On 16.08.2015 12:13, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>
> { c"p" }

Hi,

{ c'1-"p" }

is a shortcut for

{ c'1-\markup { "p" } }

both a TextScript.
Primarely, the direction to place the markup is done looking at
TextScripts 'direction property. Default is DOWN.
If the TextScript is prepended with a dash "-" the default is taken.
This may be changed by using other direction-indicators like "^" or "_".
Obviously "_" is the default, but look at the following to see its usage:

{ \voiceOne c'1-"p" c'1_"p" }

Here the default was changed already by \voiceOne. Ofcourse it can be
modified as shown.

Fingerings are indications, which finger to use.
For the guitar it means, which finger should be placed on the fret.
The direction is calculated by a procedure: ly:script-interface::calc-direction
But can be changed using direction-indicators or by setting
fingeringOrientations

{ c'1-1 c'1_1 }

For the guitar printing StrokeFinger is often needed/wanted.
>From NR:

{
  \clef "treble_8"
  c4\rightHandFinger #1
  e\rightHandFinger #2
  g\rightHandFinger #3
  c'\rightHandFinger #4
  <c\rightHandFinger #1 e\rightHandFinger #2
   g\rightHandFinger #3 c'\rightHandFinger #4 >1
}

The default is to place them to the right of the note.
But can be changed using direction-indicators or by setting
strokeFingerOrientations.

{
  \clef "treble_8"
  c4_\rightHandFinger #1
  c4^\rightHandFinger #1
}

The quite verbose \rightHandFinger #1 can be shortened as already
shown in this thread.
Let me quote NR again:

#(define RH rightHandFinger)

\relative c {
  \clef "treble_8"

  \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(up down)
  <c-\RH #1 e-\RH #2 g-\RH #3 c-\RH #4 >4

  \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(up right down)
  <c-\RH #1 e-\RH #2 g-\RH #3 c-\RH #4 >4

  \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(left)
  <c-\RH #1 e-\RH #2 g-\RH #3 c-\RH #4 >2
}

In every case prepending a post-event with "-" means, let LilyPond
choose where to print.
This can be set/overridden in various mannors.

Soooooo, I've not the slightest idea where you see
errors/mistakes/faulty behaviour here.

Cheers,
  Harm