Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 19:19:23 +0100

Robert Schmaus <address@hidden> writes:

> I can only subscribe to what Simon (and all other responders) wrote.
>
> Like Urs pointed out, that the absence of any reports about the
> financial situation on the developer side left me under the impression
> that it wasn't really problematic.

It means I don't want to think about it.  There may be a number of
reasons for that.  There is a tax declaration for 2012 I need to think
about right now, for example, because otherwise the guesses the tax buro
made about a year ago will become final.  And their guesses are way
optimistic, and the final say will be the basis for taxes (or rather for
a refund of what I already paid in order to be able to stop thinking
about it for a while) as well as health insurance payments are based on.

So, uh, "not problematic" is just not a safe guess when I am silent.

> I can understand that it's not pleasant sending out request for
> contributions - maybe someone else on the developer side who's
> familiar with the situation could do that instead on a - say -
> quarterly basis, so everyone's aware of that.

There was a three-month window where I worked very little on LilyPond
(or at least it felt like it) because I fixed the performance of the
"git blame" command which I thought would take about a week.  So I was
too embarrassed to file reports for that comparatively quiescent time
and once I had stopped could not bring myself to start again.

Yes, this is all silly.  But par for my course.

> Apart from that I'd like to contribute as well - please send me the
> relevant information (I live in Germany).

Will come presently, thanks

--
David Kastrup