Re: lilypond-devel on MacPorts

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel on MacPorts
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:48:00 +0100

Hi.

> On 12/27/15 12:32 PM, "Jacques Menu" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>MacPorts as I understand it is meant to work on its own. Since it keeps
>>records of what has been installed, their dependencies and where they
>>have been installed, I donĀ¹t think you can tamper with that easily.

Actually ports in MacPorts declare dependencies on TeX Live by path
instead of by port name, so you could actually edit the configuration
file (/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf) and prepend your TeX Live
installation to MacPorts' path, but this could be a source of problems
and is not officially supported (i.e. if you have problems you are on
your own).

> So I moved to just using LilyDev
> for my development environment.  I do install development releases on my
> Mac and use them with Frescobaldi for my engraving work.

That's what I would advise, too.
I have a lot of software installed with MacPorts (including TeX Live,
by the way), but I install LilyPond manually downloading the app, so
that I can have multiple versions side by side (I rename them to
"LilyPond X.Y.Z.app").
When I tried installing lilypond-devel with MacPorts, it didn't build
on my machine.

Best wishes.
Davide