Re: Strings as variable names

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:40:48 -0500

Hi David,

> What's wrong with violinI ?

For one thing, arabic numerals sort more easily than roman numerals.

> When would you ever want to do that?

Unfortunately, I need to do it all the time: until Lilypond handles
multi-instrumentalist parts better than it does (you may recall us discussing
the many issues in the past?), I am forced to break up variables and then knit
them back together later [transposed, or with a new key signature, or whatever].

> What's this with "workaround" anyway?  I have more scores using
> "Violin I" and "Violin II" for their parts than otherwise.

Instrument names [presentation] and variable names [content] are independent…
or at least should be.

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer