Re: Strings as variable names

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:35:42 +0100

Johan Vromans <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 23:04:37 +0100
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> You conveniently snipped shells so that you could mention them again.
>
> You can find a lot more on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_interpolation

About a third of the examples are not even string interpolation but
format-like functions.  Probably because people wanted to see their
favorite programming language mentioned in spite of it not qualifying.
Of course Guile/LilyPond can work with format.

> The point is, is it something we would want (i.e., is useful) in
> LilyPond?

We already have `format' and other string operations.  I don't see that
it makes sense to try outdoing Scheme in matters that are not really in
LilyPond's domain.  We have deprecated/undocumented/removed several of
LilyPond's "native" constructs for forming expressions from ordinary
Scheme data because there is no point in having everything twice.

--
David Kastrup