Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply twe

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply tweaks on tweaks")
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 16:47:46 +0100

> Hi Harm,
>
> Now that my custom ottavation function isn’t overriding the stencil, how do I
> adjust all of the parameters I had set in the “bound-details” version (e.g.,
> X, Y, padding, right-broken.X, etc.)?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> p.s. My original function was simply extended from the example in the
> [current] docs:
> <http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#ottava-brackets>
> Perhaps that should be changed, if it’s not the recommended method?

Hi Kieren,

I made some fundamental research about spanners with line-interface
and those with additional line-spanner-interface.
Code, pdf, log attached. Their behaviour is inconsistent, to say the least.

Regarding default OttavaBracket:
It doesn't have line-spanner-interface, i.e. the following properties
are basically _not_ supported (but may be by another interface, p.e.
thickness):
    bound-details
    extra-dy
    gap
    left-bound-info
    note-columns
    right-bound-info
    simple-Y
    thickness
    to-barline

If you switch the stencil to ly:line-spanner::print you basically
loose access to (again, some of them may be supported by other
interfaces, like minimum-length, didn't test this, though):
    edge-height
    bracket-flare
    shorten-pair
    minimum-length
but you would be able to use the ones from line-spanner-interface.

Right now this is a one-or-the-other.

(Ofcourse a property-setting may not take any effect, if the
stencil-procedure doesn't use it. Though, this is always true.)

It is discussable whether OttavaBracket should behave more like other
spanners with line-spanner-interface. I guess the main reason why
OttavaBracket is done as it is, was to have edge-height and
bracket-flare user-settable.
Though, this may be possible even if the stencil-procedure would
listen to the properties from line-spanner-interface.

This would mean to rewrite the stencil, ofcourse. C++ work, which I
can't do myself.

Maybe more later.

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S.: Up to now I found it impossible to override certain properties
of the first part of a broken OttavaBracket, like the length of the
line.
Hairpin has the 'broken-bound-padding at least, but none of the
others, if I'm not mistaken.