Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply twe

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply tweaks on tweaks")
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 20:59:36 +0100

> Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Harm,
>>
>> Thank you so much for doing all this! Very informative and helpful.
>>
>>> I made some fundamental research about spanners with line-interface
>>> and those with additional line-spanner-interface.
>>> Code, pdf, log attached. Their behaviour is inconsistent, to say the least.
>>
>> =(
>>
>>> Regarding default OttavaBracket:
>>> It doesn't have line-spanner-interface […]
>>> It is discussable whether OttavaBracket should behave more like other
>>> spanners with line-spanner-interface. I guess the main reason why
>>> OttavaBracket is done as it is, was to have edge-height and
>>> bracket-flare user-settable.
>>> Though, this may be possible even if the stencil-procedure would
>>> listen to the properties from line-spanner-interface.
>>>
>>> This would mean to rewrite the stencil, ofcourse. C++ work, which I
>>> can't do myself.
>>
>> David K: Here, I believe, is a perfect example of a well-defined task
>> that I would be happy to sponsor.
>
> "particular" is not the same as "well-defined".  I can't even figure out
> what this is supposed to be about.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

True.
I posted my findings, else I wrote "discussable ..."

So, let's start discussion.

In the end the general question "How should OttavaBracket behave?"
should be answered detailed.
Part of it:
Which properties should be user-settable?
How should a (maybe broken) OttavaBracket behave at (line-)start/end.
Maybe crossing items like TimeSignature, BarLine, KeySignature etc.,
when broken.

Only some questions, there may be others waiting to be answered.

Cheers,
  Harm