Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 13:45:58 +0100

Sharon Rosner <address@hidden> writes:

> But seriously, I see no reason to change a system which works so well
> for so many different kinds of music. All these alternative systems, I
> don't see what advantage they offer. On the contrary, there are many
> downsides - they're unsuitable for keyboards,

Piano keyboards.  Chromatic button accordions would likely benefit, as
would Janko keyboards.

> unsuitable for tonal music,

Not "unsuitable" as much as intransparent.  It's harder to see the
tonality.

> unsuitable for music in unequal temperament, unsuitable for microtonal
> music, require relearning how to read music, make transposition
> harder.

"make transposition harder"?  Of all the disadvantages to attribute to
equally-spaced notation systems, this one seems like an unlikely
candidate.  It's one of their redeeming features.

--
David Kastrup