Very fast typesetting regardless of beauty?

From: Isaac Reilly
Subject: Very fast typesetting regardless of beauty?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 20:51:53 -0500

Hi all,

I'm working on a graphical music editing program. The final output (with Lilypond, of course) is going great, but for editing the music in real-time it's way too slow.

Can you give me advice or point me toward a resource on speeding up Lilypond by turning off features? For instance, I don't care about stem length, beam slant, collisions between noteheads and anything else, collisions between markup elements, or spacing between staves. And since it will always be rendering to a single page wide enough to hold it all on one line, I'd like to turn off the line break calculations. What do you suggest?

Thank you,

Isaac Reilly