Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:41:37 +0200

Hi David,

On 04.04.2016 22:22, David Kastrup wrote:
> Noeck <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Alternatively, you can put this into a layout block:
>>
>> \layout {
>>   \context {
>>     \Staff
>>     clefPosition = 2
>>   }
>> }
>> %or
>> \layout {
>>   \set Staff.clefPosition = 2
>> }
>
> This is not the same.

I know. I wanted to keep it as short as possible, but you are right, it
is worth mentioning.

>> in layout block (variant 1):
>> \layout { \context { \Ctx       | \layout { \context { \Ctx
>>   prop = val }                  |   \override obj.prop = val }

btw: } missing here

>> in layout block (variant 2):
>> \layout { \set Ctx.prop = val } | \layout{\override Ctx.obj.prop = val }
>
> That's not a variant but something quite more encompassing.

Well, obviously, the docs did not help to find the most important
answers first in this particular case/thread. That's why I tried to
summarize what I consider minimal knowledge for property tweaking. Not
providing the full picture but only the "most important" parts, is
always dangerous. But my aim was not to replacate several chapters of
the manual but rather a practical concise form which is not found in the
manual. I still think that conciseness is a value in itself (it is a
fine line, though).

Back to the table, I probably should have omitted 'variant 2' as it is
indeed a bit dangerous until one knows what happens.

Cheers,
Joram