Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Sharon Rosner
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 00:12:25 +0200

> And secondly, to me it seems clear why the error is termed "fatal" - the
> parser aborted. You don't want a compilation error to return a fatal error to
> "make" and, because it receives a fatal error, make throws a fatal error and
> crashes too, do you? The question is WHERE in the stack do we actually trap
> and handle the error.

No. As I demonstrated, the parser in fact does not abort. It continues
correctly parsing the rest of the input after encountering the error. So what
is exactly “fatal” here?

> Lilypond, imho, makes the correct decision FOR THE USER, traps the error, and
> then turns the incomplete output, from the *crashed* parser, into an
> incomplete pdf.

Again, these are two separate things. The fact that Lilypond continues
processing the input is fine. The error reporting to me seems misleading.

Sharon