Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:54:05 +0200

Am 24.04.2016 um 09:39 schrieb Villum Sejersen:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:22:23 +0200
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> >/Am 22.04.2016 um 10:19 schrieb Johan Vromans:/
>> >/>> Frescobaldi 2.19.0 has been released into the wild. /
>> >/> Good job! Thanks!/
>> >/> /
>> >/>> - The new LilyPond feature to embed source code files in the PDF/
>> >/>> (LilyPond >= 2.19.39) can be used in publish mode and the custom/
>> >/>> engrave dialog (#813) /
>> >/> I must have missed this in the discussions... What can I do with this? /
>> >//
>> >/You can ensure that anyone who gets the PDF also has access to the/
>
>> While trying to find out why this didn't work I noticed that Frescobaldi
>> registers the version of the lilypond binary when that binary is added
>> (Preferences > Lilypond preferences). It doesn't notice that a binary has
>> been updated.
>
> That's not my experience. It might be something in your setup(s)? ;)
>
>> In my case, the /usr/bin/lilypond was upgraded to 2.19.39 but Frescobaldi
>> still considered it to be 2.19.22, disabling the embed files feature.
>
> My installation (on a debian testing, not ubuntu, nor mint) found and updated
> Lilypond to 2.19.41 (and as before 2.18.2) automatically, but don't ask me
> why.
> I run frescobaldi as a symlink from /usr/local/bin/ where lilypond and
> fontforge binaries compiled fro git sources are situated too.
> Contrarily, the lilypond version(s) possibly entered in in /usr/local/share
> must be updated manually.
>
>> Is this (not detecting upgrades) intentional behaviour?
>
> As said this may be circumvented somehow in the setup. Whether lilypond or
> frescobaldi setup I don't know.

I think there is some clarification needed here:

A) LilyPond
If you install LilyPond through your (Linux) OS's package manager this
will detect any updates to the OS's packages (of course) and will
therefore update automatically whenever you run your package manager's
update procedure (e.g. apt-get update && upat-get upgrade).
If you have downloaded LilyPond as a binary release this will of course
*not* detect the availability of any newer releases.

B) Frescobaldi
When you add or edit a LilyPond version in Frescobaldi's Preferences it
will run LilyPond to retrieve the version and will then know the version
of that LilyPond.

If I'm not completely mistaken (and would need clarification too) it is
a pretty recent feature that Frescobaldi runs LilyPond on startup to
detect the version of either the default registered LilyPond or all
registered ones. So *now* Frescobaldi does detect updates on the
LilyPond side, that is, when you have updated LilyPond outside of
Frescobaldi.

HTH
Urs