What is the correct way(TM) to set a Rezitationston?

Subject: What is the correct way(TM) to set a Rezitationston?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 11:17:50 +0200

Hi all,

I need to set a document containing one or more Rezitationstöne[1] (I
don't know if there is a correct english translation). The score looks
like my hand drawn score at [2]. I came up with the following file to
set this kind of music:

\version "2.19.37"
\score{
  {
    \key g \major
    \relative c''{
      \makeClusters{a8~a a4 a8~a}
      fis4 g fis(e)
      \makeClusters{e8~e e4} fis4~ fis
  \addlyrics {
    The _ quick brown _ fox jumps over the _ lazy dog
  }

  \layout{
     \context {
          \Score
          \override BarLine.transparent = ##t
        }
        \context {
          \Staff
          \override TimeSignature.stencil = ##f
          \override Stem.transparent = ##t

While this works, it feels like a dirty hack, so I want to know if there
is a better way to work with this kind of notes. Especially I would like
to expand the bars until the end of the syllable (I got this for the
start by splitting the starting note and added a _ to the text). The
vertical bars at the start and end would be nice, but are not that much
important.

Bye,
Rudi.

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchentonart#Rezitationston