Re: Hyphenating words in lyrics across long repeats and across multiple

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Hyphenating words in lyrics across long repeats and across multiple pitches
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:29:30 +0200

On 21.07.2016 03:39, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
When I try to start a syllable that continues after the repeat, I have
a problem.

Lilypond complains loudly:
     repeats.ly:24:38: warning: unterminated hyphen; removing

Below an example that should read
    Oh, tralalala! Tralalali!

(Of course the hyphen would "kind of" work if I add "li!" at the end –
it would pretend as if the word was "Tra -- li" and would place the
hyphen to the wrong place.)

What's the best recipe to fix such cases?

You have to revert to some kind of tricks; in this case, using "Tra -", which has the disadvantage of taking the hyphen from the font instead of Lily’s engraver tool, so it will probably look slightly different. See attached.

Another problem are cases which I would intuitively write
     tra -- _ -- la

where the first syllable "tra" would be sung across two pitches.

Simple: just omit the second hyphen. Hyphens will be extended to span the whole distance until the next actual syllable comes. Same with extenders.

Best, Simon